Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July, July

Photo by brit_robin

Summer whisks by so fast! Lately: sparklers and personal fireworks available at the nearest grocery store, hours with Tetris (a dangerous game), and lots and lots of reading -- Alexander Theroux's The Strange Case of Edward Gorey, Ellen Lupton's Thinking with Type, 2nd edition, Min Jin Lee's Free Food for Millionaires, and Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go, to name a few. I marathon-read Lee's and Ishiguro's wonderful novels, but usually, I can't stick with one book; I go between stacks of them. I can't seem to read enough. I'm intrigued by The Millions' newest Book Preview and, particularly, The Atlantic Wire's media diet profiles, because when someone asks you what you're reading, you usually think of books. But what about the newspaper, RSS feeds, blogs, magazines? Not to mention: the visual, the auditory. And how does that play into your writing? People take from headlines, clip words from dictionaries, scroll through their social network feeds. Sometimes, I feel as though my reading gets in the way of my writing, but I like to think that the words and ideas and images lie in wait, somewhere, until they reappear.

Up next: our annual Trivia Contest!

DK

No comments: